tisdag 4 november 2014

I ATE JELLYFISH IN CHINA

 HELLO!

I spent six intense days in China with my dad and my brother Nikolai. My dad loves China. Loves. And I do too. Its weird, great, funny, beautiful, bombastic, kind, rude and so not like Sweden. And I love that. 

We ate food in China. A lot of food. 

We started the first day in Shanghai with a hotel breakfast. I like hotel breakfasts. BUT I usually think that you have way too many options. I tool seden dit jag kom and ate green veggies with soy sauce för breakfast LIKE EVERY MORNING. 
The second thing we did was to have lunch. Sushi of course. This was a soft shell crab roll. Crispy and fat AND healthy! I mean its sushi. We also had a spicy canned tuna roll. NAJS People.
 That evening we had dinner at Kagen Teppanyaki. All you can eat and all you can drink for like 300 spänn. 
This is scallops with soy butter, prawns and red snapper. I LIKE THIS. I really like that you can see all the food being cooked. I drank beer. 

I was there with my dad and my brother so I didnt drink til I couldnt stand up, BUT YOU COULD DO IT IF YOU WANTED TO! Because it was free beer. Well almost, you had to pay a little but almost.
 And after that awesome teppanyaki dinner we took a car two hours north west of Shanghai. We started with a fancy lunch.

 Everyone had a cucumber. They were small. And delicious.
 I had beer. Det gäller att passa på. Here you can see the size of the cucumber. You dip it in strong vinegar.
 OK OK OK. So. The food feast started. So much food. This is some small fresh water fish in spicy sacue. Its nice because all the bones are still in there and they give a lot of flavor to the sauce.

 Very nice table setting. I fucking love gold.
 Green veggies formed into a roll.


 AWESOME, AWESOME MUSHROOMS WITH LIKE SOY SACUE!!
 After dinner we worked a little bit more and then went to another town to have dinner and spend the night.

And vips så vare dinner. There is so much food all the time. And you sit in a separate room to eat. And its big as fuck and very fancy. But very nice. So. First out. Jelly fish! I dont know if it was real Jelly fish but it was nice. Very crunch. Thats why I dont think it was that kind of jelly fish I know. Because that kind of jelly fish is not crunchy. Lets move on.
 RADISH SPROUTS!!! OMFG WITH SOY SAUCE AND SESAME OIL. SO STRONG AND CRISP AND I DONT EVEN KNOW.

 Salmon and something that tasted like oysters. Nice.
 A very green cucumber, shrimp and squid stir fry.
Broccoli and chinese mushrooms. Hehe I know bad picture. BUT THIS IS SO GOOD AND NICE.
 
 Deep fried fish. Look at that pattern. It took like one hour to make this. It was nice.
 This is funny. Its a dumpling filled with liquid fish and shrimp bouillon. So you make a small hole with your chop stick on the top, and then you just suck out the liquid. Hehe. And then you just eat the dough. Interesting.

 Me in the kitchen!! The lady behind me is making the dumpling filled with liquid. I was very happy as you can se. And yes, I only wore one hoodie the whole trip.
 A real chinese kitchen. Very big.
 A pomgranate tree in my fathers friends garden.
 Back in Shanghai! Hot pot time. This is my brother and my dad with his beautiful head piece.
 LOADS OF GREENS TO BOIL IN YOUR HOT POT.

HOT POT BABY! With like everything. Different kinds of mushrooms, shrimps, tofu, fish, lotus and the best dip sauces with peanuts, sesame seeds, cilantro, scallions an fuck loads of Chinese things I dont know the name of.

 It was summer in Shanghai. I repeat: IT WAS SUMMER!!! I wore a dress the whole day. Happy selfie.
 We went to the food market. It was so najs. I love that. And I love that my family likes it as much as I do.
 VEGETABLES ON THE STREETS.
 BARE LEGS! Well me, not Nikolai. And it was evening. So it could have been cold. But it was not.
 MORE VEGETABLES ON THE STREETS.
 SPICES
 Small allies. A lot of Chinese people wears pajamas like all the time. I love that. We saw so many people cooking dinner in their pajamas in this alley.
 That evening, we had a lovely lovely dinner at a Japanese restaurant called Bankura. Dont go to the Italian one. Go to this one.
 Tuna with onion, chives and soy sauce.
 Edamame beans with salt and pepper. This was actually one of the best restaurants Ive been to. It was simple, delicious and clean. AND SO FUCKING CHEAP. We had sashimi, tempura, beans, peppers and loads of other smaller Japanese dishes. If you go to Shanghai, you have to go here.
And then we went to Beijing! To see the Great wall and the Forbidden city. Started with a breakfast of course. Green leafs, waffle, cheese, toast, tea and green juice.
The people working with the Great wall are growing their own lunch. Lettuce!

 THE WALL WAS GREAT. Hehe. Ive been here before and back then it was summer and so humid and moist that you couldnt see so much. I was happy to come back and see it in höstskrud. And that crisp air!
 At the ladies toilet. Heheh
 My brother wanted to have a food competition in China. We were gonna eat strong food and the one that could eat the most, won. Simple.

He quickly realized that the Chinese food can be at bit spicy. So he changed his mind and said that he didnt want to eat strong food and that we should cancel the competition.

So the first night in Beijing our father took us to the strongest kitchen in China (apparently). The Hunan kitchen. Hehe.

But my brother took it like a champ and ate his spiced food. (And after this he had McDonalds.)

We went to a restaurant called Karaiya, that was very western inspired. But so good. We started with spicy seaweed.
 Spicy pork with green beans and carrot. VERY SPICY.
 Prawns with scallions and bell pepper. Not so spicy but really good.
Duck with chili, celery and onion. Very strong. Very good. Hunan famous dish.
 Me outside the Forbidden City. We went in. A lot of buildings. You cant really grasp how big it is. Its huge. Just imagine how much food they cooked in there?!?!?! Cool.

 Even though my brother told us again that we wanted less spicy food, our last night in Beijing we went to a authentic Sichuan restaurant: Chuan Ban.

This restaurant was under the communist years, the cafeteria of the Sichuan people who worked for the government. So VERY authentic. Hehe

The restaurant in it self is not that cozy. But its so awesome. Just Chinese guests and very nice. 

You could even have Cold elbows for dinner! We didnt have that though.
 Started with a beer. You have to say that you want cold beer. Otherwise its warm.
 I think I could actually cry when I see this picture. This is the best green beans I have ever tasted. Firm, small and just heavenly. With the flower intact. With sesame oil and soy sauce. I think.

 Buttered green beans and shrimps. They melted in your mouth.
 And the most famous dish. Chilis with chicken, scallions, peanuts and Sichuan pepper. I died. NOt because it was too spicy. But because it was so fucking good. Dont eat the chillis though.


Our China trip end with this. Another picture of the green beans from God and some other green vegetable with chili. And beer in a plastic cup. Thank you Dad, Nikolai and China. The food is great.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Great post Olive, enjoy seeing your travels!

    SvaraRadera
  2. THANK YOU DEAR! loved your blog!! Such beautiful photos!!

    SvaraRadera